Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Twilight Zone

Norah and I go to the library on a regular basis to listen to storytime and play with the trains (choo choo!).

We were there yesterday playing with the trains, and another little girl and her dad came to the area we were in. Norah and the other girl were playing, and I saw Norah take a train from the girl, so I said, "Norah, are you sharing nicely?" in my disciplinary tone. The other girl's dad looked at me strangely; here is the conversation that follows:

Girl's Dad (named Randy): What is your daughter's name?
Me: Norah
Randy: That's my daughter's name too!
Me: Oh! I hope she didn't think I was just telling her to share! Do you spell her name with an 'h' or no 'h'?
Randy: With an 'h'. I wanted no 'h', and my wife wanted the 'h', so we went with the 'h' at the last minute.
Me: That's so funny! Our Norah has an 'h' too, and it took us until the last minute to decide whether we wanted it that way or not!
Randy: Wow! I can't believe they have the same name. That is strange. You don't hear that many Norah's running around.
Me: What is your Norah's middle name?
Randy: Claire, what's your Norah's middle name?
Me: Claire!!!! I can't believe it!

Then he went on to explain how they had come to name her Norah Claire, and I did too. Finally,

Randy: I hope we don't have the same LAST name, or we have entered the twilight zone!
Me: Your last name isn't Hemsley, is it?
Randy: Nope. Phew!

I just thought it was so funny that these two girls, born about 6 months apart in the same city, have the exact same name and were in the library at the same time playing with the same train set (and having trouble sharing it!). Bizarre!

--Chiara

No comments: