Thursday, February 26, 2009

You

I don't remember if I have written this yet, but Norah refers to herself as "You." If you think about it, it makes sense, since we always say things like, "Do YOU want some milk?" and "Are YOU tired?" and "How did YOU sleep?"

I KNOW she has the capacity to say her name, but she just won't do it. I will ask her to say Norah and she will just ignore me. If I asked her to say "inconsequential", she would give it a shot, but she WON'T say "Norah."

I have heard her playing and covering her face and saying her version of "Where's Norah?", but she never says Norah, she just babbles and uses the intonation I would use. It is really strange.

So, for now, I guess I have to live with it when she sees her photo and shouts, "YOU!" and whenever she sees Dora the Explorer, she doesn't call her Dora, she calls her YOU.

I guess pronouns are tricky little things!

1 comment:

Vinnie and Maria said...

Chiara,
That is so funny, until you think about it and it makes sense. What is more amazing, the unfounded assumptions we make, or her unconventional use of names?