Thursday, March 4, 2010

Developing language, and a couple more stories

I remembered a few more Norah-isms after I posted yesterday. Here they are.

Can you say your L's?
According to our friend Amanda, who is a speech pathologist, the L-sound is one of the most difficult (and last) sounds for kids to master. Norah has not mastered it yet. She makes a "Y" sound for any and all "L's" she encounters while speaking. Interestingly, the "Y" sound she makes for "L's is actually different from the "Y" sound she makes for "Y". James and I can tell the difference, but most others can't.

So, here are some Norah-isms along these lines:

I Yove You!
I Yike it. I Yike it a YOT!
Mary had a Yittle Yam, Yittle Yam, Yittle Yam.....
I want to yisten to Yuhyabies [Lullabies]

And here is one that fits along these lines, but was also somewhat embarrassing for me:

One day, I was doing the dishes, and I had a particularly hard sneeze. Being 7+ months pregnant (and having been pregnant before...) has made me lose a little control when it comes to sneezing, laughing, and stopping myself from peeing. There, I said it. It's out there. Anyway, I sneezed while doing the dishes, and had a little mishap. I said, "Oh! No!" and Norah asked what was wrong, and I told her I had 'leaked' and had to go change my clothes. She seemed very troubled by this. She told my I should always do my peepee in the potty and wouldn't drop it. I immediately knew I should have kept my mouth shut, but I hadn't, and now my words were tattooed on her brain (she never forgets anything!!!!).

A day or two later, we were at Target, and I realized that I had forgotten to pick up something on my list when we were almost at the check-out. I said out loud, "Oh, No!" and Norah said, "What's wrong, Mommy? Are you Yeaking [leaking]?" Yes, there were people around, and yes, they heard her, and yes, I turned beet red and walked away from there as quickly as possible!

Who are you going to marry?
Last one, I promise. [But hey, this is one of my only chances to tell funny stories about Norah to people who might care!]

One day, Norah and I were having 'yunch' when she asked me about my belly (again). She said, "When is the baby in your belly going to come out?" I told here not for a while. She said, 'When I am big, I will have a baby in my belly, too!" and I clarified and suggested that maybe she should not only be big, but married, too....Then I asked, "Who is mommy married to?" And she said, "Yeah" (which means she has no idea). I told her, "I am married to Daddy." Then I asked, "Who do you think you will marry?" Without skipping a beat, she said, "I am going to marry Daddy, too!" I told this one to James and you could just see him swell with pride that Norah loves [yoves] him so!

That's all for now. Photos to come soon, I promise!

2 comments:

Nicholas said...

I am suddenly reminded of our tornado walk...Very funny. Once again, I am holding in laughter at work.

Alessia and Jim said...

I told the Target story to people at work- they thought it was great! But you do really have to watch what you say as they get older. Ethan's already yelling at the dog "no, Zero, no!!" I guess I say that a lot more than I realized!