Friday, July 2, 2010

A wish

Norah was having a rough morning today. She was in her pj's and her princess dress and we needed to get going, so I said, "Let's do you hair and get ready to go; please take off the princess dress." Norah responded, "No! Hair first, then I take off the dress!" I didn't want to do it that way, because then her hair would get all messed up before we even left the house, so I repeated my request, and was met by an even more defiant "No!" I gave my typical warning, which she ignored, and then sentenced her to 3 minutes of naughty time on the step. After 3 minutes, I asked her to come take off the dress, and she did so, wailing loudly so I would know how upset she was. As I was doing her hair, I heard her whisper to herself longingly and with a hint of sadness: "I just WISH I was a princess!"

Of course, I can see why she would want to be a princess: no one telling you what to do all day, the pretty dresses and crowns, etc. I think Norah is beginning to have the typical American view: The grass is always greener on the other side!

2 comments:

Vinnie and Maria said...

She may have occasional; doubts about her royal status, but we know that NORAH IS A PRINCESS.

Alessia and Jim said...

Ethan would like to remind Norah that she is not a princess. I read him this entry, and he responded: "Norah not a princess."